28 April 2012

K's Blanket Tutorial

***Thank you Avalon for the Dutch translation! :)
http://avalon022.blogspot.nl/p/een-babydekentje-met-twee-voorkanten.html

Ever since I posted about this blanket more than 2 years ago, I’ve been asked repeatedly for a tutorial or pattern. So this is what I’ve come up with. Please, Please do read through the entire post, instructions and all until you have a good understanding of how this comes together before jumping in, it’s not hard, but getting started may throw you for a loop, especially if you are a beginner crocheter.

eta: Since posting this stitch tutorial, I've had a few people let me know there are other sources for thisstitch. There are 2 on-line versions with an actual stitchcount for a complete blanket. Both are listed on Ravelry, here are links to both patterns, though they are slightly different. The original is from a kit called Leewardsfrom the early 1970's. So far all I can find is that they have been out of business for quite some time. This is somehow different than mine, my stitches face forward and all the others show the wrong side forward, mine also looks like little basket shapes, instead of little squares. Anyhow, its a fun stitch. The Ravelry page says there is no person/designer/copyright. Here is more info for you regarding this stitch.

Carol S. http://www.knitting-crochet.com/crochet/revbabafg.html  Ravelry Link http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/reversible-baby-afghan

Janet David http://www.knitting-crochet.com/crochet/2sided.html  Ravelry Link http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/2-sided-baby-afghan

Leewards Ravelry Link  http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/reversible-shell-baby-afghan-06-34089
Tips: any hook/yarn combination you want to use

*****To get the best show for your work, I do recommend to use 1 light color and one dark color ie: black and white or pink and brown or green and peach, etc. Using 2 similar toned colors like blue and purple or pink and yellow will not show the stitch as easily as the contrasting will.

You will need 2 colors, color A and color B.

This is a stitch tutorial, not a definite pattern. More like a “recipe”, it is very easy to crochet, there is an inherent logic in it, once you complete the first few rows, you’ll be good to go.  My friend’s mom made blankets for her and her sisters in the 70’s and 80’s, (blogged here and here). 
For tutorial purposes I am making a much smaller version so you can see all stitches/ends, ect.

 To begin, with color A, make a chain however wide you want your blanket to be with a multiple of 5. So chain 100 or 125 or 135, etc. Plus 1. So you would chain 101 or 126 or 136, etc.  

R1, sc in the second ch from the hook. *Ch5, skip 4 chs across, end with a sc in the last chain.





R2 Looking at the front of your work, attach color B to the first ch the beginning sc was made in. You will be crocheting directly in front of the last row crocheted. Ch3, *skip 1 ch, in the next ch make 2dc, ch1, 2dc, skip next 2 chs and skip next sc. Now, repeat * across (see photo) End with a dc in the last st. (same st as the last sc of the loop row) So as many ch5 loops you had in the last row, you now have the same number of shells. See photos. (TIP as you are crocheting, the wrong side of work will be facing you, but when you are done you will lay it flat on top of the first row) This row may seem off centered, but trust me, you do not want the bottom of the blanket to be wider than the top, this is for sizing purposes to keep the edges straight.



Now it will look like this, with the shell row on top, beginning chain in the middle and the ch5 loop row on the bottom.


Push the ch5 loop row behind the shell row so it looks like this.



R3 Now, turn work and picking up color A, Ch5, working into BOTH the ch5 loop and the ch1 sp of the previous shell row, crochet 2dc, ch1, 2dc into each across the row, being sure to work into both the ch5 loop and ch1 sp together, end with a tr in the last sc of R1 (this corresponds with the ch5 at the beginning of this row, all it does is finish off this row to the same height as the rest of the sts. See photos.



 See how you work through both rows here? This is where they interlock.


Completed R3.



R4 Now, pick up color  B, Do Not Turn, the last row crocheted is still facing you, crocheting this row behind the previous row, Ch1, sc in same st, *ch5, sc in between the shells (stitches from R2, same color, you always make the ch5 loops to the same color, never cross the colors)  across ending with a sc in the last st, (this is the tiny space made between each shell) See photo.  




R5 still with color B, ch1 turn, Repeat R 3.



R6, Do Not turn, but do pick up color A and repeat R4.



R7 Turn and repeat R3.

Continue the sequence or repeating R4 then R3, alternating the colors as set in pattern, (2 rows color A, 2 rows color B) to desired length. J (1 Row shells then 1 row ch5 loops, change color, etc)

Finish it off by crocheting a nice sc edge around the entire blanket, working through both thicknesses, then any edging you want to use. Personally, my favorite is a simple picot edge because it is sweet, also because the stitch is the star of this blanket, the edging shouldn’t compete with it but should compliment it.



Basically you are crocheting 2 blankets at one time, the only place they connect is the row where the shells is made. So crochet a row of shells, then a row of loops, then change color and crochet another row of shells and then loops, change color, etc. Always remember to crochet through the ch5 loop and ch1 sp from shells together, this interlocks the rows.

For this tutorial I started with a chain of 36. That gave me 7 little “baskets” or shells per row. This width would make a beautiful scarf! Or a nice thick hot pad, you get the idea; many things can be made with this stitch. So have fun and learn something new to crochet today! Enjoy!

63 comments:

  1. Thanks for the tutorial - fab pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I love this pattern and I think I will be able to do this....maybe . LOL!
    Blessings, Joanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can! It does take a minute to "get it" but its sure fun to crochet.

      Delete
  3. Thank you so much for sharing this. I can totally see this making a really fun scarf!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks so pretty. Great tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello, Sarah!
    I loved your blog.
    It was great that the PAP Blanket Tutorial.
    I'm following your blog.
    And it will stay as my favorite.
    Come meet me. We will be glad to receive it.
    Thanks, Tania - Brazil

    teardesonhosbytania.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks sarah... defenitely will try this pattern

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow!!! I love this pattern Sarah. I will definately try this for a blanket. So very pretty.

    Have a great Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anna! and you're welcome too! :)

      Delete
  8. Sarah: Wow great tutorial. This is a great pattern. I have made many times! I have the origional pattern from 1970 from Leewards from a kit my neighbor gave me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW! That is great! I know I've looked forever for something and never found anything. That's neat that you have the original. People have bombarded me with wanting a tutorial since I first posted a pic. Its good to know where to look for an actual pattern. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi friend I love your blog always has nice things here, I am from Brasil and I love crafts, kisses and hugs ...
    http://agulhaetricot.blogspot.com
    http://agulhaetricot.com
    http://titacarre.elo7.com.br tb visit my store and let your opinion about my products.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am making this right now in my college colors for my son! I am not even cutting and tying yarn. I just loop it and carry it over. Its going to be really thick, since I am using bulky weight alpaca blend yarn, but that's what he wanted! So pretty 4 pairs in.

    ReplyDelete
  12. hermoso trabajo!Thanks for the tutorial..!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks so much for the tutorial!! You have a very nice blog here... Hope you'll visit me sometime too!!
    http://marumin64.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is wonderful, sort of like a reversible crochet pattern.
    Thanks for posting this! :)
    Lee Ann
    Crochetgottaloveit.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love this look, and fantastic tutorial! I linked to this page on my blog today - had to share! :) http://tinyurl.com/unpinning-pinterest

    ReplyDelete
  16. I just found this tutorial on Ravelry; I just love it. I haven't tried it yet, but it's added to my library!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Would you be able to increase or decrease with this stitch? I just think it would make an adorable warm hat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would think so, you would just have to add or decrease the number of sts, or start with less sts then gradually increase to make the hat.

      Delete
  18. Thanks for the tutorial. I shared on facebook and my blog. I love your blog ♥!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lindos seus trabalhos,estou esperando você no meu blog

    ReplyDelete
  20. Kay idea how many skeins color A and B?

    ReplyDelete
  21. Any idea how many skeins of each color?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It depends on how big of a project you are going to make and what size yarn. It does tend to use more yarn than you normally would need for projects. So I would recommend to pick up more than you think you would need.

      Delete
  22. How do I end this? With a 4 chain/single crochet or what?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To finish the blanket/project just finish off as you normally would and weave in ends. Otherwise what ever row you finish on, end in pattern with the last stitch of the row. Depending on the row you quit on, it would be a sc or a dc.

      Delete
  23. I meant- what is the last row? Do you end as you began with the double layer (5 st, 1sc) or is the last row the shell row, that kind of thing, not what the actual last stitch is... sorry for the confusion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, sorry! You can end on which ever row you think looks best, but what I do is end with a shell row and then crochet a row of sc all around the entire piece just to give it a nice finish, picking up the ch row in the sc sts to close it in. You can put 3sc in the "corners" and make 1 sc in each stitch of the shell and 1 sc in the ch sp of the shell. If you crochet down the sides/around place 2 or 3 sc for each row.(which ever works for your gauge)

      Also too, if its a girly project, I like to crochet a row of shells around the outside edge. :)

      Happy Crocheting!

      Delete
  24. Thank you for this tutorial! I am a visual learner and was trying to "see" the pattern in my head before I decided to attempt this. I is easier than my head was making it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  25. I made a smaller version to see how it would come out. But instead of the loop design being on both sides, it was only on one side in color B. What have i done wrong?

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi! I'm not sure why it didn't turn out, because you work the same pattern on both sides alternating the rows. Do you have a photo posted on line somewhere or a blog link so I could see the photo? Or can you try a step by step swatch following the photos posted here to see how that works?

    ReplyDelete
  27. OMGosh! I saw this on Pinterest and wanted to add my story! I picked up an unfinished baby afghan at a rummage sale with this pattern years and years ago! I was so intrigued by the look of it. As it came with no directions, I unraveled it enough to figure out the pattern and then with the accompanying yarn I finished it. I love it so that it is on my closet shelf enclosed in a dust free bag! I still don't know what edging to put on it, though. I've tried a couple and neither were right. Any suggestions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a great story! I would say to do a nice solid row of sc then another sc row with picots. They are my absolute most favorite edging or a simple shell, 5dc, skip 2 sts, then sc, then skip 2 sc all the way around because anything to sophisticated and it will detract from the prettiness of the afghan stitching.

      Delete
  28. Found this on pinterest.. Love it!! reminds me of flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I'm just starting to follow your pattern. How do you join color B to the beginning of the last row?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! You just join in the end of the last row of color A worked and join with a slst, then begin. Study the photos in this blog post, they will help with the written instructions. Happy Crocheting!

      Delete
  30. Many thanks for this great tutorial. Even I couls understand and I'm a flemmisch speaking mom. I imediatly start a blanket, and it's going to be just wonderfull. Many thanks to chared it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Love the pattern & tutorial. Found the line "getting started may throw you for a loop, especially if you are a beginner crocheter" hilarious since you are talking "loops" and "crocheting". Comic gold. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) I hadn't thought about that, lol. Happy Crocheting!

      Delete
  32. Thanks for the tutorial - fab pattern just what I need for GD´s jacket. Many thanks and a big Hug
    anabela

    ReplyDelete
  33. I found this on Ravelry the other day and have been pondering trying it ever since. I love the pattern, but I'm really new to crochet. I might just try a facecloth first and then try a throw if that works out. I think I could get the hang of it once I got on a roll...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Basically you are working 2 blankets (cloths, etc.) at the same time, interlocking them with the 2dc, ch1,2dc. You keep 1 color to the same side and the other color to the other side, bu crocheting 2 rows together, the stitches hold the front and back together as 1 blanket. :)

      Delete
    2. Thanks Sarah! My beginning few stitches are a bit sloppy, but it's starting to come together now. I think I'll keep on it for a few more rows just to make sure I've got it and then pull it out and try the first couple of rows again. Not too bad considering I've only been crocheting for about 6 weeks!

      Delete
  34. Hi Sarah,
    This is a superpattern for babyblankets and thanks for the clear tutorial you made. I make babyblankets for a dutch charity "Sven`s Sterrenmutsjes" https://www.facebook.com/groups/361647547256693/ and I would like to ask you permission to translate your tutorial and publish it with the pictures on the grouppage. Please let me know

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you sure can! Thank you for asking.

      Delete
  35. I tranlated the tutorial. I was a lot of work as open office made a mess of the photo`s. But I am satisfied of the result. I uploaded a pdf for the charity site and published it on my blog. Again thanks a lot and if you are interested, you can find it here: http://avalon022.blogspot.nl/p/een-babydekentje-met-twee-voorkanten.html Best wishes !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful! I will add the link to the Ravelry database too. :)

      Delete
  36. Muchas gracias por compartir tan hermosos trabajos! Para quienes no hablamos inglés los vídeos nos resultan de una ayuda invalorable.Un cordial saludo desde Tandil - República Argentina






    ReplyDelete
  37. Very much enjoying this pattern! Making a baby afghan with it! Posted your link on my blog so others could find it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  38. LOVE this stitch! I am scared to try it, but I want to make my friend a blanket for her baby with our college colors (purple and grey) and think this would be great!!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Working on an afghan using your pattern and I LOVE how it's turning out! It took me a few tries to figure out the pattern but now that I have it down it's coming together quite quickly. Thanks so much for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thanks for visiting Sarah Sweethearts and taking the time to leave a comment too! Hope you have a beautifully blessed day! God Bless and Happy Crocheting!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...